Helpful Tips for Self-Packing
Posted on: May 19, 2017 | by: admin
Although you can always hire movers to do the packing, you may prefer self-packing. If you choose the latter, it is important that you consider several things to make the process easier and ensure that your belongings arrive at your new destination unscathed. Following are a few tips to consider.
- Moving or Storage – Decide if your packed belongings are going to your new home or into storage. That way, you have the opportunity to pack somewhat differently. For example, when transporting boxes to your home, it is important to keep items from each room together; for storage, this is not as much of a concern.
- Quality Boxes – Especially with self-packing, make sure that you use quality boxes void of rips and tears. Also, be sure to limit the weight of each box to no more than 50 pounds. Lighter boxes are easier to carry, and there is less risk of the bottom falling out, even if sealed with high-quality packing tape.
- Proper Wrapping – Wrap delicate items with bubble wrap, clothing, linens, or anything that offers protection. It is also important that you fill any voids inside of the boxes with packing paper, old newspaper, bubble wrap, or fabrics to prevent the items from shifting during transport.
- Packing Order – Pack items that you do not use first, followed by those used on a daily basis. You will find it easier to get rid of things that you no longer want or need. For loose items, place them inside of a plastic zippered bag.
- Original Boxes – If possible, pack items such as electronics in their original boxes. Otherwise, use bubble wrap as protection for standard boxes.
- Labeling – Another important tip for self-packing is to use a good labeling system. Place a colored sticker on boxes that go together, as well as a quick list of contents using a permanent marker. Packing this way makes it easier for the movers to place the boxes in the designated rooms while helping you identify the types of contents inside.
- Plates and Bowls – Instead of placing plates horizontally inside of moving boxes, set them up vertically. Be sure to wrap each plate individually for optimal protection. Once you have a row of plates, create a layer of cardboard and bubble wrap, placing protected bowls on top.
- Mirrors, Artwork, Plaques – For extra protection, wrap these items in blankets, comforters, or large towels as part of self-packing.
- Silver – When packing silver, enclose all of the pieces to prevent tarnishing and bending