Choosing the Right Moving Containers
Posted on: April 28, 2017 | by: admin
No matter how many things you need to pack or the distance to your new home, moving is always somewhat challenging. To make the entire process easier, consider hiring a professional moving company. In addition to loading and unloading your things onto and off the truck, you can also have them supply the boxes and moving containers. However, if you prefer to get boxes and containers on your own, use the following tips.
Size of Boxes and Containers
As for the size of boxes and moving containers, the best rule to follow is that once packed, they should weigh no more than 50 pounds. This will make them easier to carry, there is less risk of the bottoms falling out, and the moving process will be quicker.
- Books, Dishes, Small Appliances – For these items, choose a box that measures 16 x 12.5 x 12.5 inches.
- Electronics, Clothing, and Pots/Pans – With these items being slightly larger, you need a larger box or container. One that measures 18 x 18 x 16 inches is ideal.
- Larger Kitchen Appliances, Lamps, and Linens – These items require an even larger box or container, one that is 18 x 18 x 24 inches in size.
- Blankets, Cushions, Toys, Pillows – The recommended size of boxes and containers for these things is 22 x 22 x 21.5 inches.
- Rectangular Shaped Items – For anything with a rectangular shape as well as larger blankets, cushions, and comforters, you will need a box or container that measures 24 x 18 x 24 inches.
- Hanging Clothes – Although you can fold hanging clothes and place in standard boxes and containers, this creates significant wrinkles. A better solution is to purchase wardrobe boxes from the moving company. These boxes are heavy-duty, tall, and are designed with a metal rod at the top for hanging clothing items.
Types of Boxes or Moving Containers
When moving, you can head to their local grocery, liquor, or retail store, or stop by nearby dumpsters to find boxes. As long as the boxes are in good condition with closing flaps, stain-free, and sturdy, there is no problem. Remember, quality is always the most important criterion, especially if you have heavier items to pack. The alternative is to purchase boxes directly from the moving company that you hire.
For moving containers, the most economical solution is to visit your local dollar store to purchase plastic bins. These are sturdy enough and they come in various sizes. Just make sure that you have a matching lid that snaps on firmly.