When you hire the right moving company, your life will automatically become less stressful. After making an assessment of your home, the mover will provide you with a solid estimate. The estimate should include the cost to work with professional moving trucks, have an experienced moving crew perform the work, and ensure that your goods make it from point A to point B on time and in perfect condition.
The moving crew will take on the heavy lifting and, depending on your contract, packing, but even with that, you can still do some things on your end to make your upcoming move even easier.
- Good Organization – Don’t wait until the last minute to deal with important things. As soon as you have a confirmed move date, start getting organized. To stay on track, create a list of everything that you need to get accomplished each week prior to the move.
- Have a Strategy – If the moving company is taking your items to a local address, then there is no need for you to pack any type of bag, but if moving long-distance, you will need to have a strategy for you, as well as any children and pets. This includes packing a bag of clothes, snacks, toys, medication, important documents, etc.
- Labeling System – Using a labeling system is highly beneficial, even if your move is small. For instance, mark all boxes for the living room with the number one, dining room number two, kitchen number three, master bedroom number four, and so on. By providing the mover with a copy of the system, the crew will know exactly where to place each box at your new home.
- Purge Time – As you pack in preparation for your move, put aside any items that can be tossed out, donated, or recycled. The fewer boxes the mover has to handle, the less expensive your move will be.
- Take Inventory – It is also important that you make a list of the contents in each box. Although a professional mover offers insurance, in the case that something is lost, broken, or stolen, filing a claim will be easier if you can easily identify the item or items in question.
- Fragile and Delicate Items – For family heirlooms, expensive artwork, computers, and other fragile or delicate items, you have two options. First, you can purchase add-on services whereby the expert mover will carefully wrap and secure all items. Second, you can wrap the items yourself and transport them in your personal vehicle.